Below are the available Jewish opportunities in Sydney. Please click on the button below and let us know what you’re interested in this semester.
- Young Adult Chabad: YAC is a Chabad House (Orthodox) that caters particularly to students and young adults in Bondi.
- Masada Community: Orthodox community based in St Ives, just North of central Sydney.
- Newtown Synagogue: Orthodox community based in Newtown, centrally located and accessible for students.
- The Great Synagogue: This beautiful Synagogue is a heritage-listed Synagogue in Sydney’s central business district, hosting daily services, as well as every Shabbat and on religious festivals.
- Emanuel Synagogue: Progressive community based in Woollahra; they love having students and host events throughout the year for Shabbat and festivals.
- NSTE: Progressive Community in North Shore, Central Synagogue; a little further away from central Sydney, but students are always welcome to join community events if they are in the area.
- AUJS: Australasian Union of Jewish Students. The organize social events and Holiday events for Jewish students.
”I had not fasted for Yom Kippur in a really long time so it was really a challenge to do it, especially since I was doing it by myself. I was really trying to reflect though on why I was doing this and the significance it has. I wanted to do this for me, to not only test my willpower but also bring more Judaism into my life. Finally, when the sun set, I put the bagels out for everyone to come and enjoy. Almost none of the people were Jewish so I printed out a “Judaism 101” guide about what Yom Kippur is and handed copies out to everyone. I also spoke while everyone was eating their bagels about what Yom Kippur is and what it means to “break the fast.” They all listened and seemed really interested, I even got a few questions I was able to answer. It felt really great to spread my knowledge to my friends while also educating them on Judaism. I am really glad I went through with this and was able to do this for my new friends.Julia M.Rosh Hashanah Location: Sydney, Australia