Below are the available Jewish opportunities in Prague. Please click on the button below and let us know what you are interested in this semester!
- Beit Simcha: A Progressive (Reform) community just outside of the city center that is welcoming to all. The community holds services and communal meals for High Holidays, although mainly in Czech.
- Chabad of Prague: An Orthodox Lubavitch organization that welcomes Jews of all backgrounds. It’s an open and welcoming environment, but it is important to know that all announcements are made in Hebrew to cater to the large Israeli tourist population.
- Czech Union of Jewish Students (CUZM): A well organized group of Czech university students and young professionals who organize social and cultural events, as well as some Shabbat and Holiday meals. Most group members speak excellent English and love having international students join their events! Their events are publicized in a private, secret Facebook group (usually there’s an English translation under the Czech event description) so connect with KAHAL staff to get access!
- Jewish Community of Prague: The central Orthodox community holds traditional Friday night and Holiday services in Hebrew at the Alt Neu Synagogue, the oldest active synagogue in Europe. The community is very strict in its membership and attendance policies – connect with KAHAL staff before attending to ensure you will be able to pass through security.
- Masorti Prague: A Conservative community specializing in hosting students that holds frequent Friday night and Holiday services in Hebrew and English that are very accessible to international students.
- Moishe House: A group of students and young adults that live together in an apartment and put on several events a month (Jewish and non-Jewish events for local young Jews) often in conjunction with CUZM. All of the residents speak excellent English and love having international students join. Similarly to CUZM (and often in conjunction with), their events are publicized in a private, secret Facebook group (usually there’s an English translation under the Czech event description) so connect with KAHAL staff to get access!
“I thoroughly enjoyed hosting a break the fast meal in my apartment on Yom Kippur. I had the opportunity to meet other students studying abroad in Prague and have meaningful and engaging conversations with them. When I first thought about studying abroad, I never thought about what my Jewish life abroad would be like, and KAHAL has provided me with a Jewish community that I have loved being a part of.”Gracie G.
“Celebrating the holiday gave me a sense of normalcy and comfort while experiencing something new. ”Carly G.
“Rosh Hashanah was great in Prague. The Chabad Rabbi is amazing. I am excited to return for more holiday experiences, thank you KAHAL!”Yoni F.